THE OLD PRINTING TECHNOLOGY
The old printing technology (the typographer shows the printed sheet)
The complete demonstration lasts three quarters of an hour, because it consists in four parts:
– Presentation on the first book printed by Gutenberg and his collaborators;
– Inking and printing of a 18x24 cm sheet, on the Gutenberg press;
– Demonstration of hand casting (racks);
– Explanation of the cupper engraving (etching and intaglio).
Moreover, each visitor becomes a small bag, that contains:
– a printed sheet by our press (similar to the one made during the demonstration);
– a sketch of the press (with the technical terms of the various parts of the press);
– a technical sheet (printing alloy, typographical measurements, older formats, etc.);
– and a double-sized little sheet, called «Origine graphique de l'alphabet».
As well as :
– a technical note „Gutenberg and the 42 lines Latin Bible“ in english.
With the tab More info you can watch a short film of 13 minutes and get
brief preview of the four technical notes that will be offered to you after the visit.